It is interesting how Day 2 was a totally different experience than Day 1. I went in with a plan to attend several professional learning focused sessions. However, R2D2 arrived at the opening keynote and then was available for a photo opportunity. That basically made my schedule obsolete until I got my photo; which, I was able to get and totally geek out over!
After the photo, I tried to make it to two sessions and they were both full. The only option left was to go to the exhibit hall. In the exhibit hall I had one goal, meet Peter Reynolds and have “The Dot” signed for my girls. Mission Accomplished.
While wandering the exhibit hall, I came across several vendors that were very interesting. Here are a few that stood out:
Discovery Artifacts/Artifact App: The Artifact App lets you search for books using traditional titles, authors, publishers and ISBN terms. But you can also search using artifacts (those things you notice in stories when you are reading). Seems like a great resource for educators trying to build text around standards.
LittleBits: I know they have been around for a while, however; this was my first time using them hands on. My husband has to work with circuits as part of this job and tries to teach my girls. Little Bits would be a perfect way for him to teach the concept without using the soldering iron. =) I wish they had family pricing.
Osmo: I was already familiar with Osmo before ISTE but they have added a new feature that includes tiles for coding. I was able to play with these tiles and thought it was so fun. Coding on a computer can be fun but can also be abstract for younger learners. Being able to move the tiles and then see the results immediately on the screen can help those tactile learners.
iPEVO: iPEVO is a document camera and whiteboard company. They are amazing because they want you to use their product. The will hand you a document camera to take home just to try. They want you to see how simple it is to use. Not only do they want you to use their products but they want to support teacher collaboration by sponsoring Edcamps. They will sponsor your Edcamp. I am not sure how they are making a profit because they are amazing!
After visiting the exhibit hall, I was able to meet for lunch, two amazing educators from Virginia Beach. @teachshel and @chelysemiller are professional learning specialist at the district level. We chatted professional learning over incredible food from @backeastbar . These topics included professional learning frameworks, activities, and models. They shared how they have used Guskey’s research as part of their frameworks to plan professional learning in their district. I cannot wait to look to look this over.
We also discussed the idea that @isteconnects and @learningforward should sit down at the same table and talk. If technology integration should be seamless and professional learning is part of the seamless integration, then it’s only natural that both organizations should talk. Next, we checked out the @breakoutedu bus to try the challenge but unfortunately, they were booked until the end of ISTE. However, I am convinced after talking with BreakoutEdu Team to purchase one box and see what we can do with it.
Finally, we built a stronger relationship between @LFmaryland and @LFvirginia. We hope to build more collaboration opportunities between the two affiliates.
The final part of my learning today involved many poster sessions focused on professional learning. Walking through the poster sessions it was very overwhelming. There were so many great models of professional learning with strategies and resources the presenters wanted you to take and modify. Here are my highlights:
30+ WAYS TO USE YOUR IPAD FOR PERSONALIZED PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Good iPAD resources for learning, creating, connecting, and organizing.
3 FREE IDEAS TO REVIVE YOUR DISTRICT’S TECHNOLOGY PROFESSIONAL LEARNING
- The ideas presented here are simple to implement and allows teachers to learn and then provide evidence of learning. I could see incorporating these ideas to earn badges or even as part of the professional learning platform.
CELEBRATING PROFESSIONAL LEARNING WITH DIGITAL BADGES
- This presentation provides a model for using badging to recognize teachers using technology outside of their comfort zone.
- Providing student recognition through an awards process. Teachers nominated students based on digital work completed. A red carpet event was held to recognize the students. This is a creative way to recognize exemplary work. I would like to see it modified for adult recognition
COLLABORATE AND BUILD YOUR DISTRICT'S OWN ED TECH MINI-CONFERENCE!
- This district created their own conference around educational technology. I see this as great resources for Common Ground and any future conference we may plan.
DIGI SNACKS FOR YOUR STAFF
- A collection of tools that can be used to engage your staff members during meetings or professional development.
IGNITE THE LEADER NEXT DOOR: DEVELOPING TEACHER LEADERS
- Resources for creating and supporting teacher leaders. An interesting model that could perhaps be paired with digital badging.
- eMints is a company I just learned about, that supports coaching and teacher leadership models.
PROFESSIONAL LEARNING, AMAZING RACE STYLE
- This innovative professional learning model is something I would love to put together either as a state opportunity or in partnership with a district. Teachers follow a series of clues and complete challenges in order to learn various technology tools. It seems like a creative way for teachers to learn new tools.
PUT A BADGE ON IT!
- Another badging model that incorporates badging themes i.e. Star Wars.
OVERCOMING TECH MYTHS AND MISCONCEPTIONS TO EMPOWER TEACHER CHANGE
- Cute presentations that incorporate bitmoji to relay the tech myths and how to overcome them. I really like the idea of using bitmoji during presentations.
I am excited to pick and choose the different professional learning elements that I learned about and incorporate them into professional learning opportunities for Maryland Educators. I see the potential to enhance growth for teachers that will meet their needs and interests in a personalized way.